Search This Blog

Saturday, June 15, 2013

Making the switch from 3rd to 5th grade

I've been teaching 3rd grade for 3 years and 2nd grade for 2.  Every move have been more fabulous than before.  Leaving 2nd grade for 3rd wasn't my choice but I love challenges and took the bull by the horns! The state test that I had to prep 3rd graders for scared the mongoose outta me. I mean, I went from having fun teaching thematic units to now being responsible for test scores. Here in Texas we call it the STAAR test. I figured it would be easy right? Just do what I do best and "voila"...wasn't so easy but I love challenges and gave it my absolute best shot.

Once, I got comfortable and confident BAM a curve ball! I was asked to teach 5th grade next year. I appreciated the honor and trust my principal placed in me. Okay, I think I've said it numerous times already, I LOVE A CHALLENGE, actually without challenges I get bored. No problem right? Well only one thing, I wasn't certified to teach through 5th grade. My certification is EC-4. So I signed up to take the state certification exam to get me qualified to teach 5th. I had to take the exam within 2 weeks from sign up date. A wonderful coworker loaned me a study guide and I got to work. Took my test and aced it. I am officially a 5th grade teacher! YIKES!
Wonderful study guide

No comments:

Post a Comment